Grace Full Creations Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Use or Not to Use

3 posters

Go down

To Use or Not to Use Empty To Use or Not to Use

Post by Admin Tue May 20, 2008 11:24 pm

Please use this section to tell us about your favorite and not so favorite tools and products. Please be kind if you do not like something. Keep in mind these are your opinions. Who knows maybe we can also help you work out the bugs so you do like the product.

Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 100
Job/hobbies : Quilting, Graphic Design, Taking care of my boys
Registration date : 2007-12-27

http://www.GFCQuilting.com

Back to top Go down

To Use or Not to Use Empty Re: To Use or Not to Use

Post by Admin Tue May 20, 2008 11:28 pm

I absolutely love the Olfa Frosted Rulers. Since I have been using them, my accuracy has improved greatly. I can see the lines on any fabric and do not have a problem with where I should place the line since it is thin and one color. The frosted back not only assists with seeing it on all colors but provides a non-slide surface. Actually I should say reduced slide. It still slides but I add Fabric grabber feet to them and then they are perfect. Even kids in my classes can't move those suckers unless they lift them up.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

To Use or Not to Use Empty My Favorite tool

Post by DONNAANDDICK Tue May 27, 2008 4:38 am

Smile When I took my first quilt class in 2005 I had three big problems. # 1 my sewing machine did not perform well and my instructor suggested a new one. # 2 I could not sew the 1/4 inch even with a magnetic marker. # 3 I had trouble with holding the ruler in place while I rotery cut my fabric no matter how hard I tried the ruler would manage to slip. ( Sara would you cut it for me? "NO") Working with Sara and the owner of the quilt shop Diane I purchased a new sewing machine Bernia. This solved problem # 1 and # 2 as the # 37/57 foot is made for 1/4 inch seams. This still left me with problem # 3 as I was reading through one of my quilt magazines and saw an advertisment for the RuleSteady I went to www.keepquilting.com.au I purchased the RuelSteady I have been extremely happy with it and as stated your fabric dose not move. I love you I joined the nine patch block group and my RuelSteady arrived in the mail at the same time what fun I had when I could actually cut straight and no slipping to destort my blocks. three cheers for the quilters "STITCH STITCH HOORAY" Razz "STITCH STITCH HOORAY" " Razz STITCH STITCH HOORAY" Razz

DONNAANDDICK

Female Number of posts : 10
Job/hobbies : Retired Enjoy Quilting Crafts & Ladies growth group.
Humor : Stich Stich HOORAY!!
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:59 am

Donna,

thanks for sharing that link. I have never seen one of those before. The idea is like the Gypsy Gripper except that it rests on the mat as well as the ruler. Pretty cool. Cost wise I would still recommend Fabric Grabbers for under $3 and if you want a handle there are several on the marker under $15.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

To Use or Not to Use Empty To Use of Not to Use

Post by Lynn Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:33 pm

I heard a great tip at my recent quild meeting. Instead of using a seam ripper for taking out stitches, an eyebrow shaper (at Walgreens, CVS, etc) will do the same thing without accidentally cutting the fabric.

Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenda Kaye Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 pm

I love the Gypsy handle for holding down the ruler when cutting. I have sliced my finger open a few times now and it holds the ruler in place. I also like that it doesn't slide so that I cut it wrong. It is really great for strip cutting.

I also love the pressing mat that I bought from collections etc. I keep it on a table at my right and it allows me to press the work as I go. I then use a larger ironing area to iron the completed rows and the over quilt top.

Brenda

Brenda Kaye

Female Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Instructor for Transit Bus Operators and Supervisors, Grandchildren, Gardening, Nascar, and #1 Quilt
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

To Use or Not to Use Empty Favorite tool??

Post by Cats Mon May 25, 2009 4:44 am

I have many... my 8 1/2"x24" ruler and the June Taylor (no endorsement implied) shapecut ruler. As I think of it, I love good tools and do not hesitate to invest in the best I can possibly afford...not to say I don't take advantage of sales and coupons!

I paid almost $30 for a 9degree ruler to make spiral placemats, table runners and etc. I love it.

Several pairs of nice scissors are in my tool box and my children and husband learned early on they were MY scissors and not to be take and use for other guy kinds of projects...sometimes judicious threats are useful...

Cats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum