Grace Full Creations Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rag Quilting

Go down

Rag Quilting Empty Rag Quilting

Post by Admin Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:46 am

Our tip comes from Karla Santoro, Stanley NY.

She writes: "I do have one good tip (so far). It has to do with the final step to making a ragged flannel quilt. Many times I washed and dried mine for the final step in order to get the ragged parts to, well, rag. But I found that if the top is sprayed with water and is put the dryer, it works just as well. It rags beautifully and much of the lint still comes off. I give many quilts of this style away, calling them "a hug-to-go.""

Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 100
Job/hobbies : Quilting, Graphic Design, Taking care of my boys
Registration date : 2007-12-27

http://www.GFCQuilting.com

Back to top Go down

Rag Quilting Empty Re: Rag Quilting

Post by Admin Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:55 am

Thank you Karla, your tip is a much milder approach to other methods I have heard about. Case in point - Have you heard of "weed whacking" your rag quilt? This seems to be the preferred method from my quilt designer's loop. Yes, I did say "Weed Whack."

Although rag quilts are soft and lovely, they create havoc with our washers and driers. All those threads have to go somewhere. They get wrapped around the motors and clog the filters. Many have taken their rag quilts to laundry mat, just to save their own machines. It has been reported to me that even the laundry mats have been posting signs forbidding the washing of Rag Quilts. So what is a girl to do? What choice do we have? But to "weed whack."

First, take a large clean area and tape your quilt down. Take your husband's favorite tool and start "her" up. Let the thread fly. If you are doubtful that I am telling the truth that people actually use this method, I found some pictures on the web to prove it:
Weed Whacking Photos and Weed Whack Two

Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 100
Job/hobbies : Quilting, Graphic Design, Taking care of my boys
Registration date : 2007-12-27

http://www.GFCQuilting.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum