Grace Full Creations Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saving your neck, back, and eyes with a simple tilt

Go down

Saving your neck, back, and eyes with a simple tilt Empty Saving your neck, back, and eyes with a simple tilt

Post by Admin Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:11 am

I am only 37 years old, but I suffer greatly from neck and arm pain. One of the things that have helped me is tilting my machine. I tried the product Tilt'able and it did wonders. I now use it to tilt my machine for classes since it is light weight and travels well.

On my home machine, I have tilted the machine by putting a 2"x4" board under the back legs of the table. I choose to tilt the table so that I had a smoother area for quilting.

Some other products that I have heard about people using are computer wrist guards, door stops** or books. You might need to experiment to get the best angle and to choose whether you want it lifting your entire table or just the sewing machine/serger.

So how does it help you? First, the tilt allows you to see the foot plate on your machine at a straighter angle. You no longer have to bend your shoulders and tilt your head back to get the correct view. It also allows you to sit all the way back in your chair so that your posture is improved for your back and neck.

Another way to prevent pain is to adjust your chair. Your chair or table should be adjusted so that your arms are bent at a comfortable level and so your shoulders do not get raised. For me to achieve the perfect height for my chair so that my legs and arms are bent comfortably, I had to lower my table greatly.

If you suffer from pain in your neck, back, or arms, I urge you to experiment with your seating and tilt to get the best combination. Your body will thank you. Don't forget your sewing will also improve since you will be more in tune with the machine and not fighting against it.

Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 100
Job/hobbies : Quilting, Graphic Design, Taking care of my boys
Registration date : 2007-12-27

http://www.GFCQuilting.com

Back to top Go down

Saving your neck, back, and eyes with a simple tilt Empty Re: Saving your neck, back, and eyes with a simple tilt

Post by Admin Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:11 am

Virginia Robinson from Lynchburg, VA wrote us and commented "I went to an office supply store and bought 2 identical rubber door stops and slid these under the back of my sewing machine an equal distance apart. These are the best thing ever for this problem, as they can be moved by the merest fraction of an inch to change the angle of the tilt to the perfect spot for anyone. These take up very little space so are easy to take to class. Everyone "oohs and aahs" when they see me use mine. Regardless of the variable chair/table height in a classroom, I never have neck or back pain any more from this type of strain, despite my arthritis. Best $5 I ever spent on pain management!"

Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 100
Job/hobbies : Quilting, Graphic Design, Taking care of my boys
Registration date : 2007-12-27

http://www.GFCQuilting.com

Back to top Go down